Withdrawal Policy

Please find the complete description of the Withdrawal/Refund Policy on page 51 of the Mercer University catalog.

Any Macon Main Campus student who drops classes or resigns from the University prior to the first day of class or during the official drop/add period shall be entitled to a full refund of paid tuition. A student who formally withdraws from ALL classes after the drop/add period may be entitled to a partial refund of paid tuition, if certain criteria are met, based on the withdrawal refund schedules. The criteria are based upon federal mandates established by the Federal Return Policy instituted in 1999, replacing all existing refund policies.

To formally withdraw, a student should submit one of the following:

1. Complete the new online withdrawal form located in your MyMercer Portal. To access this form, login to your MyMercer portal and choose "External Links." NOTE: This form is designed for current term withdrawals only. Students who wish to drop a course during the add/drop period should continue to use the online registration tool.

2. Complete and return an official Course Change Request form or Term Withdrawal form obtained from your school's Registrar's Office.

One of these options must be received in the Registrar's Office before the drop/withdrawal process can be finalized.

Refund Eligibility

To be eligible for any refund, the student must formally withdraw from ALL courses for the current semester.

A student withdrawing from the University after the midpoint of the semester will receive an "F" in all courses, except in extreme personal circumstances and with appropriate documentation when a "W" may be awarded, if approved by your Dean.

Refunds will be granted only from the date the Course Change form, or online withdrawal form, is received in the Registrar's Office.

A student is not eligible for any refund if: 

  • The student fails to formally withdraw;
  • The student is suspended for disciplinary reasons;
  • The student resigns when a disciplinary action or honor code violation is pending; 
  • The student withdraws from a class or classes but does not completely withdraw from the University.

When the university has assessed charges in error, a full refund of these charges will be made.

Withdrawal/Refund Appeals

Because each withdrawal credit must be calculated based on the individual's date of withdrawal, you may contact the Bursar's Office at (678)547-6073 for information regarding your specific situation.

Students wishing to appeal the University Refund Policy should do so by submitting the request in writing to:

Refund Appeals Committee c/o
The Office of the Bursar
Mercer University
1501 Mercer University Drive
Macon, GA 31207

A statement from the attending physician should be included with any medical appeal. Appeals should be submitted no later than the beginning of the following semester.

The student will be notified in writing of the Committee's decision.

Mercer University shall maintain a fair and equitable refund policy by the adherence to the Federal Return Policy.

Financial aid funds are refunded to the source of such funds in accordance with the Federal Return Policy.