Student Health Insurance
NOTICE: YOU MUST WAIVE YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE EVERY SEMESTER.
Due to the continuing need for all students to have adequate health care coverage, Mercer University requires our Macon, Atlanta, and Savannah Campus' students to provide proof of health insurance coverage each semester.
Your student account will be automatically assessed a premium each semester. Those students who already have health care coverage through other sources may have this charge removed from their account by following the simple steps below. Please do not contact the Office of the Bursar, as we cannot remove these charges.
- Health Insurance Premium for spring 2014: $685.00
AIG Student Health Insurance
Insurance Waiver Process
AIG Insurance (formerly Chartis) is responsible for processing waivers. To waive the insurance provided by Mercer, carefully follow the instructions listed below. The deadline to waive the student insurance premium for spring 2014 is January 17, 2014 at 5 p.m. After this date, the student is responsible for paying the premium regardless of personal coverage. Please note: The process to submit the insurance waiver must be completed through AIG each semester to remain accurate and effective.
- Before you begin the waiver process make sure you have your current insurance card available
- You must enter a valid e-mail address (Your waiver will be sent to this address)
- Students should refer to the Navigation Bar on the left side of the AIG web page. The online waiver can be completed by clicking the "Waive Online" link and following the step by step instructions.
- After you complete the form, your information will be verified with your insurance carrier by AIG. You will receive a confirmation e-mail that your waiver has been accepted or rejected. Only after your online waiver has been accepted will the charge for insurance coverage be reversed on your student account. NOTE: You will not receive your confirmation e-mail immediately after you complete the waiver, therefore, the charge will not be removed immediately from your bill. Please allow three business days for the verification process to take place. After you are notified by AIG, allow at least one business day for the charge to be reversed from your student account.
What if the Deadline for Waiving is Missed
Students who fail to complete the waiver prior to the deadline must submit written appeal via e-mail. Download the Student Health Insurance Appeal Form
Please DO NOT call the Bursar’s office. They will refer you back to this process.
Questions and Answers About Required Student Health Insurance
Must I have health insurance?
Yes, Mercer requires all students (except those enrolled in the Regional Academic Centers, CCPS, or the Engineering distance learning program) to maintain active health insurance. Every semester all students are automatically charged for insurance after registering for the first (1) hour of class. This charge can be reversed from your account by completing the waiver provided by AIG.
I already have insurance and do not want additional insurance, what do I do?
Go to the Mercer page of AIG's Website and complete the health insurance waiver prior to the waiver deadline . If your information is not entered prior to the deadline, the charge cannot be reversed.
I have insurance and have already competed the waiver. Are there any other steps to be completed?
After four business days, check your My Mercer account to make sure the charge has been reversed. For returning students, waivers must be completed EACH semester you are registered for classes.
I don't have insurance, what should I do?
Nothing. By not completing the waiver, insurance will be automatically purchased for you after you register for your first (1) class hour.
How can I get an insurance card sooner?
Coverage periods for Fall Semester begins August 1 and ends December 31
Coverage periods for Spring Semester begins January 1 and ends July 31
If you need to use your plan prior to the start of classes for either term, you will need to follow these steps to activate your account and print a temporary card:
- Go to the Mercer University page of AIG (formerly Chartis)
- Click on the Student Login button on the right side of the page (returning students). NOTE: If you are a new student purchasing insurance coverage from AIG for the first time, you will need to click on the Enrollment link in the left navigation column, and then click Mandatory Enrollment and follow the directions from there.Login to your account
- Click the Student Options button at the top of your account page
- Before going further, you must read and click on the acknowledgement paragraph to indicate that you recognize you will be charged by Mercer University. After you click on the paragraph, you can then click on "Paid University" at the bottom of the page.
- Proceed with entering your account information, you will then be able to print your temporary insurance card. If you have any questions at this point, please contact AIG (888-722-1668).
What does the plan cover?
After clicking on the AIG icon at the bottom of this page, click on 'Benefits (Plan Summary)', under the 'Navigation' menu on the left side of the page, then click on 'Plan Brochure'.
Why does AIG handle the waiver process?
As an insurance provider AIG has access, not available to Mercer, to national health insurance providers . They are able to validate the information entered is current and adequate. AIG has created a web page specifically for Mercer University unavailable to other institutions.
Will AIG try to sell me their insurance?
There is no need as all students are billed each semester for health insurance. However, if your current coverage is inadequate or invalid, you have the option to purchase coverage from AIG or another vendor of your choice. If coverage is purchased from another vendor, be sure the information is entered on the AIG waiver page by the posted deadline date. Do not enter AIG information on the waiver page.
Does Mercer get any money from AIG?
There is no charge to Mercer for services provided by AIG nor does Mercer receive any portion of a student's premium payment.
What does AIG do with the information entered on their website?
The information is used to verify provided health insurance coverage meets Mercer's minimum requirements and is currently active. No information is shared with third party vendors.
What if my waiver isn’t approved?
You will receive a notification via the provided e-mail from AIG stating the reason for denial. If the coverage period has expired or you are no longer eligible as a dependant, you will have the opportunity to make any corrections to the information submitted as long as the information is submitted prior to the posted deadline date.
For enrollment and eligibility questions, please contact AIG at (888) 722-1668.
To Complete the Waiver
- Select the AIG logo below. This will open a new window.
- Click on the “waive online” link in the menu bar on the left side of the page
- Follow the instructions to complete the waiver
- If you are having technical problems with the waiver process, call AIG at (888) 722-1668. The Bursar’s office cannot help you with their technical problems.