Student Health Insurance
Due to the continuing need for all students to have adequate health care coverage, Mercer University requires our Macon, Atlanta, and Savannah Campus' students to provide proof of health insurance coverage each semester.
Your student account will be automatically assessed a premium each semester. Those students who already have health care coverage through other sources may have this charge removed from their account by following the simple steps below. Please do not contact the Office of the Bursar, as we cannot remove these charges.
- Student Health Insurance Premium for Summer 2012- $225
Pearce and Pearce Student Health Insurance
Insurance Waiver Process
Pearce and Pearce Insurance is responsible for processing waivers. You will need to carefully follow the instructions listed below. Deadline to waive the student insurance premium for Summer Semester is June 1, 2012 - for ALL colleges. After this date, the student is responsible for paying the premium. Please note: This procedure must be completed through Pearce and Pearce each semester to remain accurate and effective.
- Before you begin the waiver process make sure you have your insurance card (the new system requires you to provide information from your card.)
- You must enter a valid e-mail address (the e-mail account you use regularly).
- Students should refer to the Navigation Bar on the left side of the Pearce & Pearce web page. The online waiver can be completed by clicking on the "Waive Online" menu item and following the step by step instructions.
- After you complete the form (and your information has been verified with your insurance carrier by Pearce and Pearce) you will receive a confirmation e-mail that your waiver has been accepted or rejected. Only after your online waiver has been accepted will the charge for insurance coverage be reversed on your student account. NOTE: You will not receive your confirmation e-mail immediately after you complete the waiver. Therefore, the charge will not be removed immediately from your bill. Allow 72 hours regular business hours for the verification process to take place. After you are notified by Pearce and Pearce, allow 24 regular business hours for the charge to be reversed from your student account.
What if the Deadline for Waiving is Missed
Students are notified about the waiver process in the following ways:
- An insert about student insurance and the waiver process is included with the tuition bill sent to the billing address of every student.
- A reminder notice appears every time a student logs into their My Mercer account
- Three e-mail reminders are sent to students on their university e-mail account prior to the deadline. Students are given ample notification and reminders. Charges cannot be removed after the deadline.
Questions and Answers About Required Student Health Insurance
Must I have health insurance?
Yes, Mercer requires all students (except those enrolled in the Regional Academic Centers, CCPS, or the Engineering distance learning program) to maintain active health insurance. Every semester all students are automatically charged for insurance after registering for the first (1) hour of class. This charge can be reversed from your account by completing the waiver provided by Pearce and Pearce.
I already have insurance and do not want additional insurance, what do I do?
Go to the Mercer page of Pearce and Pearce’s Website and and complete the health insurance waiver prior to the waiver deadline . If your information is not entered prior to the deadline, the charge cannot be reversed.
I have insurance and have already competed the waiver. Are there any other steps to be completed?
After 96 regular business hours (72 hours to verify your data and 24 hours to reverse the charge), check your My Mercer account to make sure the charge has been reversed. For returning students, waivers must be completed EACH semester you are registered for classes.
I don't have insurance, what should I do?
Nothing. By not completing the waiver, insurance will be automatically purchased for you after you register for your first (1) class hour.
How can I get an insurance card sooner?
If you need or want your insurance card before it is mailed to you (after registering for class), follow the steps below after clicking on the Pearce and Pearce icon as the bottom of this page.
- From the menu on the left side of the page under 'Navigation', click on 'My Account'.
- Click on 'Print ID Card'.
- Enter the e-mail address and password setup during account creation.
- Before going further, you must read and click on the acknowledgement paragraph to indicate that you recognize you will be charged by Mercer University. After you click on the paragraph, you can then click on "Paid University" at the bottom of the page.
- Proceed with entering your account information, you will then be able to print your temporary insurance card. If you have any questions at this point, please contact Pearce & Pearce, Inc. (888-622-6001).
What does the plan cover?
After clicking on the Pearce and Pearce icon at the bottom of this page, click on 'Benefits (Plan Summary), under the 'Navigation' menu on the left side of the page, then click on 'Plan Brochure'.
Why does Pearce and Pearce handle the waiver process?
As an insurance provider Pearce and Pearce has access, not available to Mercer, to national health insurance providers . They are able to validate the information entered is current and adequate. There are 60 other colleges and universities using their waiver process. Pearce and Pearce has created a web page specifically for Mercer University unavailable to other institutions.
Won’t Pearce and Pearce try to sell me their insurance?
There is no need as all students are billed each semester for health insurance. However, if your current coverage is inadequate or invalid, you have the option to purchase coverage from Pearce and Pearce or another vendor of your choice. If coverage is purchased from another vendor, be sure the information is entered on the Pearce and Pearce waiver page by the posted deadline date. Do not enter Pearce and Pearce information on the waiver page.
Does Mercer get any money from Pearce and Pearce?
There is no charge to Mercer for services provided by Pearce and Pearce nor does Mercer receive any portion of a student's premium payment.
What does Pearce and Pearce do with the information entered on their Website?
The information is used to verify provided health insurance coverage meets Mercer minimum requirements and is currently active. No information is shared with third party vendors.
What if my waiver isn’t approved?
You will receive a notification via the provided e-mail from Pearce and Pearce stating the reason for denial. If the coverage period has expired or you are no longer eligible as a dependant, you will have the opportunity to make any corrections to the information submitted as long as the information is submitted prior to the posted deadline date.
For enrollment and eligibility questions, please contact Pearce & Pearce at (888) 622-6001.
To Complete the Waiver
- Select the Pearce and Pearce logo below. This will open a new window.
- Click on the “waive online” link in the menu bar on the left side of the page
- Follow the instructions to complete the waiver
- If you are having technical problems with the waiver process, call Pearce and Pearce at (888) 622-6001. The Bursar’s office cannot help you with their technical problems.
For student personal account questions (MUIDs, PINs, grades, financial planning, etc.), please contact the appropriate administrative office.